DEPENDENT INDEPENDENCE (POST WAR REPUBLIC)
Philippine Commonwealth Era
- Commonwealth era is the 10-year transitional period in Philippine history from 1935 to 1945 in preparation for independence from the United States as provided for under the Philippine Independence Act or more popularly known as the Tydings-McDuffie Law.
- Commonwealth government is headed by President Manuel L. Quezon
- The government achieved relative progress in commerce and industry (by engaging in free trade, creating the National Economic Council, and establishing government companies for people’s protection against merchants or producers’ exploitation.
- Creation of the national language institute that proclaimed Tagalog to be the national language’s basis.
- Economic self-sufficiency (recommendation of extending the free trade for the Philippines to adjust to its economy).